Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 1 - Potty Training

We made it! It's "Potty Day"! The day where we put away all the diapers and put Cora in her first pair of big girl underwear and teach her all about using the potty. Last night, I was dreading today. I really didn't want to start this process. Life was easy! Sure, diapers were gross and dirty but we had our routine. It worked and I really didn't want to mess that up. Starting potty training would mean our lives would change in pretty much every area. But we needed to at least try and see how she would do and what better time than the present!


I'm just going to say that today was pretty hard. It has been mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting. I had times during the day where I questioned myself: "Why we had done this?", "Is she even ready?" and "Why am I making life more difficult?"! I want to give up and it's only the first day! I'm really thankful for William and for all the support and encouragement he gave. He cooked our meals, cleaned up messes and gave me little breaks when I needed it.


Just to give you a little schedule of our day:


Started day at 7:15
Ate breakfast at 7:45
Changed our LAST diaper at 8:00

For the rest of the morning, we played with Cora and asked every other second "Are you dry? You are! Have a treat!" Or we said "Let us know when you need to go potty!!"




Our big girl




If we didn't have enough "change", we decided to go ahead and convert her crib to a toddler bed. Not sure if this was the best move but she was climbing out anyway so atleast now she won't hurt herself!  She was excited to "make up" her bed with all her stuffed animals.  She arranged them herself!




She really enjoyed playing with Play Doh. We played probably atleast 1-2 hours with this.





This really helped in keeping her entertained and also not running all over the house, peeing on everything!


It was kind of crazy but she didn't have an accident till 12:30 pm.  I mean, I was starting to worry!  Who knew she could hold it that long?  She went down for her nap after this and suprisingly napped really well.  She even woke up dry so I was really encouraged. 

She continued to have accidents the rest of the day and we did not have any potty success.  But we learned alot!  Today was all about learning her signs of when she is about to go and also for her to learn her own body and when her body is telling her when she needs to go.  She showed alot of resistance sitting on the potty, she didn't want to do it and would only sit for a few seconds.  She would not check herself when asked if she was dry, we would have to check for her.  So all in all, it was a day of learning for both of us!  Hoping we see some progress tomorrow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment